Saturday, October 18, 2008

A dinner with the ancients

I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I have been elected into the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists. One of these days, I will write more about it.. But got to attend a lovely dinner and the dinner was held in the Ironmonger's Hall. Very formal stuff, was wearing my bib and tucker and all. Had to bow and scrape and tug the forelock and all that.

But it was amazing, to see all these senior technologists, busy with their philanthropic activities, assisting in charity and education. Very humbling indeed, to be part of an association which comprises of professionals going back hundreds of years.... But the hall was amazing. I saw a window with the crest of the first Master of the company, going back at least 800 years. Now that's history for you. And the port was brilliant.

I sneaked in some photo's when the dinner was finished.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Can you see the little shields around the walls? Each represent one master of the company, you can just imagine people walking around here hundreds of years back.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The window on the back has stained glass panels, with the original master's crowns embedded. It would have been very embarrassing to go clambering up on the table to get closer so I had to drop the idea.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Everybody is leaving... Lovely time :) I need to write down more about all that's happening there..

No comments: